Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Notes from "Quieting a Noisy Soul"

Remember my post a few days ago about spiritual growth? Well, I would like to add something more to that which I learned yesterday in Sunday School. Once again, the series that we have been going through since the beginning of the year is "Quieting a Noisy Soul" by Jim Berg. Yesterday's session was on "discovering my loudest 'noisemaker,'" (which is my conscience).

While the whole lesson was on have a clean conscience, several points struck me as being especially significant in their relation to the progress I make in my spiritual life, and I'd like to share some of my scribbled notes:

1. There can be no progress when I am covering my sin.

2. I must be in fellowship with man and those around me before I can be in communion with God. (Thus, if I'm allowing sin to have it's place in my life and my relationships with those around me, how can I be in fellowship with God? Then, if I'm not in fellowship with God, how can I expect to grow in my relationshp with Him?)

3. Want to get more from the Word? Act on what I have/know of it now--obey it, take the steps to apply what I know I should do now! ("Light received brings more light; Light rejected brings darkness.")

Each of these are all very logical and simple, but their significance and importance in the progress I make in my spiritual life is fundamental! I cannot have the ultimate goal--a close walk with God--without having the rest of my life in order, spiritually, that is!

No comments: