Friday, May 06, 2011

Close to an end...

The other night I was playing piano and came across the song But Continue Thou. The opening words of the song are "These days are coming close to an end..." and it is based on 2 Timothy 3:14 where Paul is exhorting exhorting Timothy to "continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them."

As I played the song and saw snatches of the lyrics, I was struck with how true those words are concerning these very days in my life right now: this semester is quickly coming to an end, and in just a few days, I will be entering "the real world" for the summer. This entire year, but especially this semester, has been incredible: God has taught me so much about Himself, my relationship with Him, and how to live the Christian life. When one's life revolves around Bible classes and pretty much every day is centered around developing one's relationship with the Lord, it is easy to be on a "spiritual high" here at school.

But...what about once school is over for the semester and I no longer have classes in which I am being forced to study the Word? What about when I no longer have to read commentaries such as Romans by Newell and I no longer have to attend chapel every day at 9:35 am? What about when I am away from friends who love the Lord, who have a passion to serve Him and live for Him, and who consequently encourage me in my own spiritual walk? Then what? Will the spiritual truths that I have learned in class and the things that I have learned through daily life in what some may call "a spiritual bubble" also affect my life when I'm away from it such an environment? Through God's grace and the empowering of the Spirit, yes!

No comments: