Tuesday, December 21, 2010

T.h.e Y.e.a.r...

As I look over this year, I cannot help but wonder where it went. It seriously seems as if the Fall semester just started, and here it is, just a few days until the New Year--2011! So much has taken place, that I suppose I shall just start writing as various highlights of the year come to mind...not necessarily in order of occurrence or of importance...

My freshman year at Cornerstone Bible Institute was absolutely amazing--I practically loved every single minute of it: I started making friendships that I believe will last a lifetime. I discovered that the class I thought I would least enjoy was my favorite class, and I experienced the challenges of being on my own (in other words, the challenge of being away from family, even though there were forty other individuals who I saw every day of school, practically 24/7.) I decided that I like to write papers because they force me to study out something that I wouldn't necessarily research otherwise. From the various classes I had, my understanding of who God is and my relationship with Him took on a whole new dimension. Freshman year was an great introduction to college life.

Over this last summer, God provided an amazing opportunity to go on a missions trip to Chicago with the youth group at Medora Community Bible Church. It was stretching. It was way out of my comfort zone. It caused me to consider where God might possibly be leading me in the future. It was the by far the highlight of my entire summer. (If you haven't read about it yet, you can read part 1 and part 2 on my blog.)

This August, however, upon starting the semester, life became more of a reality--a few more bumps in a road that had suddenly became a bit more curvy, and the directions to the destination seemed a bit smudged and blurry. Because Cornerstone is only three years instead of four, upon completing the semester this Decemeber, I am now halfway done with my time here at Cornerstone. Talk about scary. This has brought on much pondering about life after CBI: "What opportunities should I pursue?" "Where should I go?" "When should I do such and such?" and the list just goes on and on... Thoughts about the possibilities of this coming summer make me just about burst with excitement!

Something different this past semester has been that I am no longer the only Lehrman here at Cornerstone: Patrice is also studying here! While we aren't roommates, we are next-door to each other and see each other every day (and occasionally get to actually have a real conversation!) It has been good to have family around!

During Spring Break, I stayed with the Shively family: one of the things that I got to do that I had never done before was shoot a black powder rifle! Because Dad never did any hunting (at least not while I've been around!), I didn't grow up with these kind of grown-up toys around the house, so I really don't know much about them. Since coming to CBI, however, I am slowing learning (or at least hearing) about the world of guns and hunting (might I add that that also goes for football--I don't quite get it, but maybe by the end of my time in Hot Springs....)

Missions Conference in October was excellent. I especially enjoyed hearing about the ministry that the Davidsons have in Scotland and also the special task of translating God's Word that Bibles International is doing. It was exciting to hear about different ministries going on around the world and to see that God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things for Him!

I am thankful for the privilege that I had last semester of helping with a weekly Backyard Bible Club and also being involved with the youth group. Both of these provided opportunities to minister and build relationships...even if only in the smallest ways.

While it may not seem like anything very big to anyone else, for me it is: I had the amazing privilege of adding a particular phone number to my list of contacts this year. This was not just any number--it's listed under "Mom 'n Dad." Until this past summer, the only way that I could get a hold of them was through email or Skype. Because of the way that the internet is set up here at school, Skype is not exactly the ideal way to get a hold of them. Now, however, with Magic Jack (which provides them with an actual number--here in the U.S.-- even though they are in Brazil) I can call them any time I want and it is not a long-distance phone call! Need I say that even though we're on different continents, I have come to appreciate my parents and my relationship with them even more over the past year?

As I look back over this year, a lot has taken place over the last twelve months. Through it all--both good and bad--God has been good and faithful. I am excited to see what 2011 is going to bring and discover how God is going to work, both in my life and in the lives of those around me, to conform us to the image of Christ!

No comments: