Friday, December 24, 2010

Memories...

Merry Christmas! I hope you all are having a wonderful time together with family as you celebrate the incredible birth of Jesus Christ!

I started the following while I was still at school, but I never got around to posting it, so I thought I would do so now... =)

**************

I was listening to some Christmas music the other day [this was the middle of November]…You know, all of those traditional carols such as Hark the Harold Angels Sing, It Came Upon the Midnight Clear, The First Noel, and so on. As I sat listening to them, I was taken back in time…I was no longer sitting in the school library, attempting to work on my reading assignment that was due the next day. Rather, a dozen memories flooded through my mind: all of the sights, feelings, and sounds of Christmas rushed back to me. Suddenly, I was back in Brazil.

Suddenly, I could just about taste those pepper nuts that were still hot and fresh out of the oven. I was sitting around the table with my family, eating pepper nuts and sipping hot cocoa. We had just finished setting up the tree. All of the overhead lights were off…in their place twinkled the Christmas lights that had been in storage since the last Christmas. Yes, it was 90+ degrees outside and the fan was on its highest setting, but oh, those pepper nuts and hot chocolate sure tasted good, and the special time with family, just sitting there and reminiscing together as a family, more than made up for it.

Suddenly, I was walking around the neighborhood with my sisters, enjoying the evening breeze. The three of us: Patrice, Melissa, and I. We had fun just being sisters.

Suddenly, I was in Fortaleza, at the mall. The decorations were so beautiful. There were even English songs playing! To go gift-shopping as a family was so much fun, even though more often than not, we saw what store so and so had just emerged from...

Suddenly, we were in a frenzy to get ready for the Christmas Eve program at church. Last-minute preparations were being made: the costumes were ready for the live nativity, the food for the all-church potluck that usually followed the program was fixed….The little kids sang Away in a Manger, active little boys ran around in angel or shepherd outfits… We got to see various friends who were visiting their family…And oh! The amazing beans and rice and Brazilian BBQ--it all added to the atmosphere of the celebration!

Suddenly, I had just finished eating an amazing meal of an all-from scratch chicken fajitas, along with some of the most amazing Christmas punch ever. I was in the living room, the lights were dim, some kind of music was playing, I was surrounded with the family that I love (yes, even the dog and cat were nearby.) Dad opened the Bible to Luke 2 and began to read: “And it came to pass, in those days…”

Suddenly, it was Christmas Morning--that meant that the family activity for the morning was making food. Sometimes it would get a little stressful, but it was worth it because our extended family in Brazil--the other missionaries in our area--came over to celebrate the new-born King!

Then, just as suddenly…I was back at CBI, in Hot Springs, SD. It may be a while before I get to physically celebrate Christmas in Brazil again, but I don't think even the longest time spent in the United States could ever erase all of the Christmas-time memories that took place in Brazil-- my land, my home--with my family.


2 comments:

Bethanne said...

Thanks for sharing Angie.
I love hearing about your family:)

Anonymous said...

A Elaine said--I do the same thing, Angie, when I read what everyone in Brazil writes on FB and watch the videos and see the pictures. I sometimes am surprised that I'm really here in the USA!!