Friday, December 03, 2010

I just can't...

In talking about how much God loves us, someone recently made the comment that, "If you were to meet someone exactly like yourself, would you love them like God loves you?" Obviously, the answer would probably be "no." When I look at myself--the person that I am now--and consider how I wish I were instead, I fall so short of it; I see all of the areas that God has puts a finger on in my life that I need to change, and the task seems so impossible, so overwhelming. I feel like I can't do it. Have I mentioned that this semester has been very stretching and challenging?

It is true: it really is impossible to become the person that God wants me to be (through my own strength). Then I am reminded that "...He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ," and that "...it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure" (Philippians 1:6, 2:13).

It is so totally amazing, awesome, incredible, marvelous, staggering, overwhelming, and exceedingly humbling to ponder God's great love for us poor sinful, wicked, selfish, and helpless creatures, and to realize that He is, at this very moment, working in us to make us more like Christ.

On my own, I can't do it.
Through Christ, I can!

No comments: