Sunday, October 24, 2010

Parked or Driving?

Have you ever wondered how you are ever supposed to know where God wants you to serve Him in life?

This past week during missions conference, I had the privilege of talking with a couple missionary ladies and asking them various questions regarding missions work and ministry. One of the questions I asked was along the lines of "How did you know for sure that the ministry you're in now is where God wants you?"

In answering this great and deep question, one of the ladies gave an illustration that produced a very vivid picture of how a believer should go about seeking God's direction in life: it is as if you're a parked car out in the parking lot. If the car is parked, no matter how much one turns the steering wheel, it really won't go anywhere. However, if the motor is running and the car is headed down the driveway, turning the steering wheel one way or the other will result in the car heading that direction. For the believer, it is important to keep busy wherever he is. If he is "moving down the road" or actively serving the Lord wherever he is, then the Lord will "turn the steering wheel" or direct him. However, if the believer is like a parked car, simply sitting around, twiddling his thumbs and waiting for God to drop a sign in front of him that tells him exactly where he needs to be, he won't get anywhere!

Sometimes in my life, I can get impatient: I want to know exactly where God wants me, how He wants me to serve Him; I don't want any question marks in my future. Rather, I want to know it all now. I want to have it all mapped out and know exactly what I am supposed to do and how I am to do it. But I have to face it: that isn't how God works. Rather, He wants me to simply be faithful where I am right now. Then He will lead me to where He wants me. He wants me to be driving, not parked in the CBI parking lot.

No comments: