Thursday, January 22, 2015

On Blogs, Blogging, and Bloggers

I recently read an article about two kinds of blogs: there is the kind that has all original material and then there is the kind that uses the blogspot as an avenue to share what other people have already come up with.  “Aha!” I thought, “Maybe that is my problem: I keep trying to come up with original posts that have some unique perspective to shed on the particular subject at hand, when instead, I could just share stuff that other people have already posted!”  (Maybe that’s cheating, but I don’t care…what rules about blogging are there to cheat on anyway?)

So with that in mind, here are a few blogs that I enjoy checking their latest post:

I stumbled across Courtney Reissig’s blog a while ago and it is like a breath of fresh air.  Although I can’t exactly put a finger on how or why, her writing resonates with my soul.  She writes about girly stuff (also known as womanhood, femininity, wife-hood, ministry-hood, motherhood) without being too girly about it all.  This post echoes a sermon I heard the other week on Psalm 121 and is a timely reminder of where our help comes from! I haven’t gotten around to reading as much of her blog as I would like to, but she has good stuff there!  Check it out!

My husband introduced me (if you could call it that) to Tim Challies.  His daily posts have a whole smorgasbord of links to other bloggers, with subjects ranging from videos on latest and greatest advancements in the airline industry to tips on organization to raising children to challenges to dig into the Word in order to transform your mind. (And yes, he was the one writing about the two kinds of blogs.) You’re bound to find at least one article on his blog that interests you!

My sister-in-law, Rachel Shively, is documenting her adventures as a newly-wed living an intentionally simple life.  Her Pineapple Upside-down Cake instantly became a favorite for a “special morning breakfast” at our house!  She has also posted on some of her latest projects, as well as musings on spiritual things.  You’ll like her blog! 

Kevin DeYoung’s blog is probably in the same category as Challis’ blog—widely varied in subject, solid theological content, as well as interesting and easy to read.  He has “Monday Morning Humor” for those of you who like to watch short video clips just to get a laugh.  He has also written several books: the most recent one being Taking God at His Word, which is on my list of books to finish reading.  This post on writing was an inspiration to me and all of my ideas of wanting to be more diligent in blogging.

I enjoy checking out Moriah Avrick’s blog, The Birdie Blog.  My husband met her the year he went to Appalachian Bible College, and for some reason I friended her on FB and started following her blog, even though I’ve never met her.  I appreciate her recent post on joy.  I like her artsy-ness, brutal honesty about life, and ability to find joy and thankfulness in those small things in life.  Maybe the reason I like her blog is because something about it almost feels contagious.   Perhaps you’ll think the same thing…

And there you have it!  Have fun checking out some new blogs and hopefully your spirit is encouraged as you do so!

(disclaimer: just because I mention here and enjoy reading the blogs mentioned, please understand that that does not mean that I agree with everything on each one.)

No comments: